Monday, August 15, 2005

SATC All-Nighter: Update

As you can see from my post, I have no pics to offer of this weekend's festivities.

I was reminded, gently by B, that our attire was not one conducive to great photos ops. Such attire included, but by no means was limited to, my oldest pair of tie-waisted, baggy, too-stained-to-wear-in-public-but-still-the-most-comfy-thing-I-own khakis, a doubled up pony tail knappy beyond words, and a tank top I bought at the beach last year sans bra. Nope, not toooooo savory. I won't mention what my cohorts lounged in, but like me, very comfy stuff indeed.

So, I will give you a timeline of events to chronicle just how long it actually takes to watch 2.1 seasons of SATC. Maybe it will help you plan your first SATC All-nighter event.

4:00 p.m. - Leave work and head to nearest grocery store. Must have cheese, lots of cheese...and crackers. Plus supplies to cook a post-all-nighter breakfast complete with cathead biscuits and gravy.

4:45 p.m. - Meet B at her house, and head South. We live in a dry county, so we must drive to imbibe. Let's just say, *hiccup*, it was WELL worth the trip. My drink of choice would be a 1991 Spatlese from Joseph Wintrich vineyards in Kruv, Germany, just beside the lovely Mosel River, but the boxed stuff will do in a pinch. We carefully inspect every brand, searching for the one with the HIGHEST alcohol content. Check.

7:30 p.m. - Arrive at mi casa and commence to unloading ALL the cheese and crackers and 'other stuff'. Must mention that I went by Boo's and he donated some of his famous hickory smoked pork loin to the cause. Thanks, Boo.

8:30 p.m. - In walks N! Me and B are so pleased to see N because she moved to LR and left us all alone...boohoo! Now the party can get started. Tap the wine and get out the Marlboros! It's on like a chicken bone.

*Note - I think it is important to mention that my home is located on a pond, with a glorious view of the lush green woods behind it. VERY RELAXING PLACE, if you smell what I'm cooking. This is why I call it Chillville. We all exhale with a collective "Ahhhhhhh."

9:15 p.m. - Finally, we start Season 1...we had to talk for a bit and catch up, it would have been poor Southern taste to do otherwise. Each disc had 6 - 30 minute episodes, so we settle in to watch, we did....until N and I dozed off...

3:15 a.m. - B was still going strong about 4 a.m. when I woke up and decided to get some REAL sleep. N retired and so did I. Boxed. Wine. Good. Zzzzzzzzzz.

7 a.m. - Boo calls my cell phone. Me: *in a barely audible, whispery croak, "Huuullo?" Static. Crickle-crack.

7:01 a.m. - Turn off cell phone.

11 a.m. - Wakey, wakey, time for coffee! Slowly walk to kitchen and prepare to cook brunch for hungry all nighters.

12:30 p.m. - Fiiiiinally, N arrives after having completed a 10 hour one-man show of "The Princess and the Pea". N and I drink french-press coffee non-stop while I make the biscuits and fry the eggs. B practically inhales glass after glass of ice cold diet Mt. Dew. The house reeks of bacon, making my mouth water.

12:45 p.m. - Brunch time! Slather the biscuits with butter or gravy, consume two deliciously greasy fried eggs and more coffee, and we are officially ready for round 2. Ding-ding-ding.

1 p.m. - Start of season 2...by now, we have dragged out the cheese and crackers and veg. I never stopped snacking the whole time. Never.

2:30 p.m. - Hey! It's officially afternoon! Where's the wine? Hey, cold biscuits are gooooooood.

5:30 p.m. - We must get up and actually WALK around to keep the circulation moving. But that takes sooooo much energy. *sigh*

7 p.m. Finish Season 2! Now we have the first disc of Season 3, and we are hooked like a crackhead. CAN'T....STOP....WATCHING....MUST...KILL...BASTARD......MR.....BIG....

11 p.m. - The final credit rolls on disc one, Season 2, episode 6. Whew! But it was all worth it, each and every episode took me back in time, and I relived the joy and sorrow all over again. And now, well, I have 2 junkies who will watch with me again...B and N are hi-zooked.

We did it. And it took a loooooong time! I would recommend that you try to tackle no more than 2 seasons per event...unless you have a whole weekend to devote to it. Of course, we took time in between episodes to visit, laugh, and compare notes. It was a wonderful time for me to be near two of my dearest friends, and to forge some new memories together. I would recommend this girls' night to anyone...and as Carrie would say, it was all over "just like that". Thank you, B and N, for hanging out with me! It was one of the best times of my life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaye said...

Sounds like a great time!!! I'm impressed with the careful planning that took place beforehand! Nothing like friends to pass the time and be just plain goofy with!!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

YAY!!!! CARRIE!!!! I MISS YOU!!!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I am glad you had a good time, you needed it!! I will need one pretty soon too! I love girls night! Love you

6:08 PM  
Blogger pselby said...

My wife's all time favorite show, too. I've been working on buying her each season's box set; I think she has 2, 3, 4, and the final season, but I'm not sure.

Never would've guessed you were a KISS fan. They are probably my all-time favorite band, too, though I'm not exactly sure why (can't be the music....). Probably just nostalgia; they were at their peak when I was in high school and we were obsessed with them.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

hey Paul...

Kiss is my all-time favorite band. Next week, I will scan and post some pictures that will give you a real tin-type of just how devoted I was. I'm talking at the young age of 7 and up...you are gonna crack up!

7:09 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Sounds like you guys had a BLAST!!! I love parties where you snack the whole time, watch good movies and have great "girl time"

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home