Monday, August 08, 2005

The Succinct and the Dead

Ohhhhh....my......no....freakin'......way did that just happen.

That is all I could say upon the conclusion of this week's episode of Six Feet Under.



Nate Fisher, is dead. He's wrapped in a shroud in the photo above
(check out www.hbo.com for all the details)

Not only is he dead, but he leaves behind a pregnant wife who will now have to raise his young daughter from a previous marriage. Not only is her husband dead, but she found out minutes before his demise that Nate, her husband, had humped his very own step-sister an hour or so before, causing him to collapse and causing injury to a lurking aneurism that he'd had prior surgery on. Not only is everyone in shock, but now they must endure a 'natural' funeral which is enviro-friendly, meaning Nate will neither be embalmed nor be stuffed into a typical pine box. Not only will everyone witness the removal of his body from the hurse, but they will indeed have to pitch in, including bearing his body to the site and BURYING IT.

I sat, agog, as the newest episode of Six aired last night on HBO. I literally couldn't believe my eyes, and I wondered at the viability of the episode as the story unfolded. Most people would immediately get caught up in the story itself...the fact that NO one should have such incredibly bad luck. Not me. I was stunned at the believability of the characters themselves because I HAD LIVED THAT. The look on the face of the family members, their sorrow, the way they each reacted to the loss AND to each other. It was all hauntingly familiar...just exactly like when my brother died.

Each and every actor who appeared in this episode is to be commended for producing one of the most convincing dramatic performances I have ever witnessed. Every stunning detail was shockingly represented, but the most poignant scene was the burial. Nate was lowered into an unmarked grave by his family and friends. The normally dry-eyed David has fallen apart; the mother Ruth is a zombie; Claire, the baby sister, goes through the blind motions; and the widowed Brenda has a final argument with the departed.

Now a days, this type of funeral service might seem extremely crude, but it was nothing more than a stripping away of the beautiful packaging in which we choose to shroud our dead. There is no way to mask or transform the loss of human life to be something more than the horrible reality it is. No number of flower sprays or rosey lights or prayers or sympathy cards or hymns can take away the sting of death. To me, it was the most beautiful funeral I have ever seen...because it stripped away the very thing that makes death so unbearable, the pretense. The very loss of life itself an immensely humbling experience, and to make a gaudy display seems a mockery after seeing this type of tribute. If you want to understand the gamut of emotions that accompany losing someone, watch this week's episode of Six Feet Under. For a long moment, not-so-long ago, I was Claire.


Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger Anisa said...

your post is very moving today...and i agree that flowers and songs don't do anything to take away the sting when someone you care about passes away.

my grandmother passed away last year and my uncle's ex wife sang at the funeral. i thought for sure granny would jump out of her casket and ask my ex-aunt what business she had singing at her funeral.

the song and dance just makes a mockery of it sometimes if not done tastefully.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Great post!!!!!! Aaron and I watched it last night too!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I thought the same thing. I sobbed through the whole thing. I was a lot younger when uncle Mitchell died, but I remember it being very similar. Especially the part when David said, "I lost someone too you know!" That was too close to home.
Only 2 more episodes left. Aaron and I just started watching it again. We used to watch it before, but hadn't had HBO since Sex went off the air. We weren't sure if last night was a re-run or not, we know now. I love Claire, she is my favorite. :) I Love you!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nooooooooooooo. argugh. i have to rent six feet so i didn't get to see that episode. i only read the first line of your post. ;)

hee. i'm really tired right now, though. maybe i'll forget what i heard.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

what a great post. even with my mom in town i was like a zombie shushing her and wiping the tears away. i felt like i was literally at someone's funeral ... the performances were so great.

i would still like to give nate a good kick in the nuts though.

11:47 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

How very true. The "pomp and circumstance" just can't take away the pain. In fact, it sickens me when people who might not have been so close to the deceased try to captalize on the happenings. I just want to slap people who use funerals for attention! I have an aunt who is guilty of this--I just wanted to scream at her "This is not about you!!! This is not a popularity contest!!!"

1:12 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Anisa - I understand :) Sometime people try to make up for their inconsistencies, but if you do that at a FUNERAL, then that's a wee tad late. Get right with that person BEFORE it's too late.

Chris - When David said that to Ruth, I had a MAJOR flashback. "I lost someone, too, ya know." I would never belittle my mother's loss, but he was MY brother. We all turn our grief inward at times...but we survive, don't we? :)

Car - Sorry! Hope I didn't let the proverbial cat outta da bag. Catch re-run, then you can re-read. LOL

L Update - Yeah, you and I both could show ole' Nate a thing or two...jerk! Two things - #1. Doesn't George's daughter whom Nate hooked up with TRULY look and act just like Nate's mother, Ruth? *shudder* Very Freudian.
#2 Do you think Keith and David will wind up with Maya??

Fairygal - Me too, on everything. Some people us this time to vacuum the attention intended for the truly bereaved, and that is a selfish mockery. Some people just live for that, honestly they do. They come out, not to support, but to watch. Bunch of freaky-nosey losers.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love Six Feet, but do not have HBO anymore. So like, Carissa, I will be renting. I actually knew two weeks ago he was going to die. It made me mad. I liked Nate, but have not been keeping up w/ the show. It seems he has lost some fans. :)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

hmmm .. i hadn't really thought about david ending up with maya. they seem to really be warming up to the kids so i hope not ... i'd hate for the show to end with them feeling like maya is a replacement.

i noticed in the previews ruth and brenda are about to battle it out for maya ... which i think is ridiculous. if she's going to raise THEIR daughter, she can raise his. besides, that kid doesn't need anymore confusion. i really do think brenda is a great mom, she was just out of her mind from nate's death. she couldn't take care of herself, much less a daughter that wants to know where her daddy is. so sad.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home