Thursday, July 28, 2005

Friday Night Lights

It's that time of year again...

The summer is making it's final attempt to cook us all to death with searing heat, the kids are dreading the return school, AND....we are one short month away from the first high school football game of the season. Awwwww yeah!

I LOVE FOOTBALL. Since I was a little girl, I can remember what happened every Monday night at my house. Everyone had to get their baths and 'jammers on. There was a pallet in the floor for us younger ones, and momma would pop a couple of HUGE tubs of popcorn, ya know, the ole timey kind made in a skillet. Man it was good.
Then you would hear it...BA-BA-BA-BAAAAAAAAA! The opener for Monday night football would blare across the television, and it was officially ON. Everyone watched football at our house. Yeah, we only had ONE TV, but we watched because we all loved it...dad in his recliner, momma on the couch (probably knitting), and the rest of us locked in on all the glory that was the NFL. I remember Joe Namath, Mean Joe Green...

When my bro Bob was in high school, the tradition continued. The Hamburg Lions were a tuff bunch of good ole country boys, and they made it to the playoffs the year I turned 7. I remember crying my eyes out after we lost in the second round playoffs to Camden. We had won all the other games, so why did we lose this one? I was devastated.

Now, I am lucky enough to relive my childhood love of football as an adult.


As part of my job, I am a sideline reporter for Crossett football games. Above, l to r, me, Crossett head coach Teodis Ingram, my boss Dennis Maxwell who does play-by-play, and our color man, former Crossett coach Jeff Senn.

This is one part of my job that I have come to LOVE...being right up in the middle of the action is like pure adrenaline. Eaves dropping on the refs, seeing the plays up close, it's gotta be more addictive than a crack pipe.

What is your favorite memory of sports? Holla...and by the way....

WE'RE BAAAAAACK!

Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I love football games too, but Hamburg ones! ;) I remember when I was in school I new what # belonged to whom. I have not been to a game in so long... Years, at least 5 or more. I want to go to some this year. I can still remember some of the #'s. Max Pennington was #67, Jon Lynton was # 11, Richard Shelton was # 10, Shannon Hill was #44. I think I remembered those right, lord I am getting old.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i thought the year we played at war memorial, i guess i was in the 9th or 10th grade ... the last year hamburg was actually a good football team ... that year was so much fun. i got to be the ultimate band nerd and it was OH so much fun. of course we lost, but we almost had it!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Gaye said...

I listen to the Hamburg games on the radio every Friday night--I love it!!!
My favorite memory was a televised football game between UT and the Razorbacks when I was a child--my cousin played for the University of Tennessee (UT) and he made a touchdown--UT won. We were so excited!! I remember jumping up and down screaming for Danny and his touchdown!!!

5:47 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Love the new look and the cute pic!! Also glad you get to do something you love so much.

Wasn't skillet popped corn the BEST!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I lived for Friday night in the fall! Dated a football player his Jr and Sr year, was in the band. Not just any band, the fabulous "Marching 100". Man were we awesome! Of course that's when the cheer V-I-C-T-O-R-Y was v-i-C.T.-o-r-y. C.T. Foster was the BEST! The highlight was marching on the field at War Memorial stadium when the Eagles won the State Championship in 1984! Audwin Bradford was an awesome QB and our team was "THE BOMB". Thanks Pol for causing me to stop and remember! You, Max and Jeff do an awesome job! Congrats!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Thanks, everyone for sharing your experiences...

Anon - I saw Mr. CT in town yesterday, driving a Dodge Stealth! LOL he cracks me up, cruising around town in one of his many cars. I have heard about how awesome Audwin was...I'll have to pick on him about it, heehee!
Thanks for the compliment, too. We really love doing those football games :)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home