Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The name game

So many people have asked me what names I have picked out for my soon-to-be-little one. As it will still be several weeks until I find out the sex of the baby, I have decided to pick a girl and a boy name now and not change it throughout the remainder of the pregnancy. This seems like a good plan, that is, unless I find out I'm giving birth to a litter of chihuahuas.

However, since part of my pregnancy 'side effects' include indecisiveness, I don't know if I'll be able to stick to my plan. But I suppose I must if I want any monogrammed or personalized gifts to be presentable. I seriously doubt my child would appreciate a diaper bag emblazoned with 'Billy Jack' or "Flo". And, no. I am not naming any child of mine that.

First of all, I have decided to choose names in keeping with my family heritage. I consider it honorable to name children after family, living or deceased. It implies that not only do you love and honor those family members, but also that you value your heritage and are proud to associate your child with your family. Sadly, many people I know would just as soon see their family members drop dead, rather than try have a meaningful relationship with them. That must be a real drag at Christmas and birthday time, the lack of presents must surely suck.

Secondly, I totally and completely abhor names that are contrived, engineered or otherwise made up...just doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of good ole' names out there that will do just fine without making your child suffer scorn for his/her entire life.
Just imagine this scenario: Roll call, your child's first day of kindergarten.

Teacher: "Jack Adams."
JA: "Here."
Teacher: "Rachel Allison"
RA: "Here."
Teacher: Pause. "Bracken.........Burns?"
BB: Silence
Teacher: "BRACKEN BURNS????"
BB: *in a tiny, humiliated, almost inaudible voice* "Present."

Sounds like a piece of heavy machinery used in construction, doesn't it? I realize that you may or may not like my choices, but they are tried and true names that belonged to actual people. So here goes.

"Sylviann Estelle Burt"

If I have a girl, the first name will be after my late mother, Sylvia Ann Rice Burt. It will give me so much joy to hear that name on a daily basis, and there is no other name on earth that would give my child more honor. I decided to combine her first and middle name, and call her 'Sylvi' for short. The middle name is from my great-paternal-grandmother, Estelle McGeehee Burt. My grandfather Neal told me I favored his mother's looks more than any of her grandchildren, so I think it's a fitting middle name. This woman was tough...she gave birth to TEN children, one of which was Fred Burt. Enough said. She was short, stacked, sassy, and very robust. Sound familiar? One other thing she did was dip Garrett snuff. I don't care for snuff myself, but I remember visiting her, and seeing that Folger's coffee can sitting on the table. She would hook her finger in the edge of the can, lift it to her chin and 'pffftttoo'. I really think the name itself will give added zing when I'm trying to get my child's attention, too - "Sylviann ESTELLE!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????"

"Coleman Haddox Burt"

I could not choose a boy's name without including part of my father's given name, Robert Coleman Burt, Sr. I have always loved the name 'Cole', so that will be his name for short. I found out after having chosen that name, that it had quite a history. According to my father, we had a distant cousin many years ago named Coleman Haddox who hailed from down in Texas, and he was a man who stood for justice. Apparently, there was an evil warden who shot the young son of a poor widow just because he could. Coleman heard about it, went and found the warden, and shot him dead to avenge the little boy's death. Sound's like good people to me. The name Haddox was the surname of my great-paternal-grandfather Henry Pierce Haddox, whom my father adored. Sadly, he died when my father was just six years old.

And so, the mystery is revealed. This youngun will be Cole or Sylvi. Now I have just a few more weeks to find out just which one it will be. This is more exiting that watching The Price is Right.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I LOVE THEM BOTH!! You are going to be the best mommy. You are so smart and I love you so much!! :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the names!!!

8:04 AM  
Blogger niakki said...

You mean you're not going to name her after her Aunt Niakki??? I'm crushed! ROFLMBO

I'm still hoping for a little girl so I can finally have a precious little girl baby to buy pretty clothes for!

Love ya!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think those are great names. It makes me smile to hear someone so proud to preserve their heritage. It also brought a tear to my eye while I was smiling to hear about your mom again. I do miss that woman. Neal Elton

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love family names and these names are beautiful! I love the name estelle but I am a die-hard golden girls fan. I wanted to use the name "Urban" because it was my grandfather's name "Jesse Urban", but chuck seems to think Urban means, 'black' and in 'young, urban youth'. haha I still like it anyway.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home