Thursday, May 26, 2005

A nugget a day...

Aight. The country nuggets keep 'a comin'...this time from someone I consider a gentleman, a wordsmith and a scholar. The following submissions were sent to me via my brother Bob, aka Snick Snoid, aka Big Bro. One thing I would like to point out is the subtle differences between 'country' and 'country ghetto'. Bob is a master of both colloquial languages, and gives excellent examples. However, I think example #3 should be classified as 'country ghetto' since we hear this word across a vast number of ethnicities. It, by the way, is one of my favorite and most used country ghetto words. Dig it...and btw, you can visit my brother's blog by clicking on the blues blaster link. Go check it out.

Submitted by Big Bro...
1. Assed: " I assed him to pick up the bale of hay and tho it on the wagon."
Generally used in the deep south and is meant to be the word "asked"
2. Cut off / on / up: " Hey Bill, cut them lights off when you go to bed." OR
" Hey Bill, cut that radio up a little bit."
Generally used in the rural deep south and is commonly used in the place of "turn off / on / up."
3. Thoed: " He got mad as hell and "thoed" a fit."
Generally used in the rural south and is commonly understood to mean the past tense of the word throw which is "threw". No phonic similarities are noted between these two words which makes this a very interesting usage indeed.

Thanks, Bob, for your succint descriptions. Very easy to comprehend, even for Northerners. LOL
Now, I will add a few more of my favorites. Since we are on a vocabulary theme, then I will stick to that.

1. Fixin' to: "I'm fixin' to go to town."
Considered a verb, fixin' to is used in the place of 'about to' or 'going to'. Nothing is broken, so don't think someone is about to commence repair work.
2. Yonder: "The car is parked over yonder."
I am dogged non-stop about my use of this word. Usually, yonder is used to indicate an undeterminable distance. Generally used in place of 'over there'. Yes, yonder is a real place.
3. Reckon: "I reckon I'd better go." A legitimate word, reckon is often used to refer to reconcilliation. In this case, it refers to speculation. It is often used instead of 'suppose' or 'believe'.

I hope you have enjoyed this week's nuggets. Keep 'em coming, I need more, more, more! LOL

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Too funny! I will keep my wheels a spinnin! I do have one in mind right now...

Wawst----
Translation: Wasp; a brown or red flying insect that stings the hell out of you. :) HaHa!! That was for you mom!!! :) See y'all Friday! :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

No joke! That's a biggie and a good one...we have ALL said it, so don't front, all you country folks, you know who you are! LOL

6:15 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

OMG these are hilarious.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home