Monday, May 23, 2005

Gimme sum uh them 'Country Nuggets'!

Howdy! Thanks to J and S who have submitted some goodies! I always love to hear everyone's favorite country sayings, so here goes. And if you want in on the action, email your nuggets to gribblelite@yahoo.com You may see your nuggets 'rite chear'. That means 'right here' for all your Northerners.

Submitted by J....heeheehee
1."a month of Sundays"
In a sentence: I ain't seen you in a month of Sundays.
Translation: A long damn time.

2. "he couldn't pour piss out of a boot"
In a sentence: My ex husband is so stupid, he couldn't pour piss out of a boot.
Translation: (none needed, self explanatory)

Submitted by S...luv the vocabulary words!

"I always thought it was weird that my grandmother and many other old people said the word "Karn" pronounced "Key-yarn" when talking about a dead animal. It wasn't until I became an adult I realized this wholetime she was meaning "carrion"!! I guess someonealong the way had read this word and said it wrong!"

The most country pick up line I've every heard:
"Gal,you are as cute as a speckled pup in a strawberrypatch"
Followed by the not so cute, "I ought ta just clonk you over the head, take you home, and put ya on mah bed. Whatcha think uh that?"

I love how words are mispronounced here in the south:
Each=Itch
ehet=ate
ceasars=seizures
alltimers or oldtimers=alzheimer's

Fabulously funny! And I will add a small spattering of my favorites, after all, we can't teach too much at once or it will not be retained.

1. When someone smiles really big, you might say they are...
"grinnin' like a mule eatin' sawbriars" or
"grinnin' like a 'possum"
or my all time favorite "he's got a grin on his face like a wave on a slop jar".

Note: A slop jar is a receptacle used before indoor plumbing. The jar or "thundermug" was used at night, or when it was too cold/hot to visit the local outhouse. "Honeybucket" is another interchangeable. I admit, I have actually utilized one of these at the home of my great grandmother some 30 or so years ago. It was in the middle of the night, and I had to tinkle. The indoor bathroom with running water was approximately 10 steps away, but she said, "Oh, honey...just use Ma's pot and I'll throw it out in the morning." Man, was that thing coooooold. LOL

Keep the country comments coming...hope y'all are having a great Monday! Yuck.

6 Comments:

Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Love them!! hahaha too cute!!

I had never heard the "grin like a wave on a slop jar"!! Funny!!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just missed you, love, and wanted to read you again. This was so fun. I used to call a candelabra a "Candle Bra" and thought the word "awry" was pronounce AAHH-ree. No-one bothered to correct me for years.

My mother and Gramma always say "cross" and "vexed" for angry, instead of "mad".

"To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow."

and "Lord love-a-duck" were other faves.

So good to see you again. I'll quietly pop in from time to time.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Good to c u, C! I'm gonna use "Lord love-a-duck"...that is classic. Stop by whenever you can, and check out the pics of the shower! My sis' blog is http://57moodswing.blogspot.com/
Note: my niece couldn't say Bonanza...it was Bozanda...LOL

11:36 AM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Ha Ha Aunt Polly! I also couldn't say smell, it was pell. :) I remember saying Bozanda!!! Bonanza just didn't sound right to me!!! :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Oh....another mispronunciation I love. My cuz Mel, who is now a teacher, used to say 'fillbold' instead 'billfold'. Hi-freakin-larious I tell ya! Mel, where arrrreeeee yyyooooouuuu???

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Mrs. T. you are crackin' me up!!! My great grandmother couldn't say aluminum and she said "aluminumum." She is also the one that told me "you gotta go with the flow or caught in the brush"...I can blame her for every thing I ever "got into" when I was younger. You know, I didn't want to get "caught in the brush"!!!!!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home