Friday, March 09, 2007

At least the kid is normal

When you come from a family like mine, the word 'normal' isn't usually a commonly used descriptive in regard to our character. Clannish, hospitable, and 'just plain nuts' are used much more often. I suppose most outsiders look at our family with stunned disbelief, jaw dragging the ground and think, "Do these people really think they are special or something?" Well, yes, we do actually...that is, if you are thinking short-bus-variety-special. Yes, we are different, but none of us really know exactly why.

Ask anyone who has visited my parents' home during their lifetime, and they can tell you. Or find out from someone who once attended any of the myriad family functions at Cooter, particularly The Easter Egg Hunt, and they will explain. Not to mention all the food-laden extravaganzas at Nanie's house where everyone was expected to eat until bursting, family or not.

We just love everyone and make everyone feel welcome. Honestly, we do. We laugh all the time about everything, and yes, we make fun of each other face to face, and no feelings ever get hurt. Just ask Michelle about the Spread Tooth Song, and she won't cry or slap you silly...she'll sing it to you, with accompaniment if a piano is available. Everyone has nicknames, like Fig, Stretch Armstrong, Snick Snoid, Jazz, Face, Micheline, Wha-wha-wha? and my all-time favorite, Bowl-Sock-Sandal. Not all these nicknames were meant to be complimentary, but we didn't care! We were all raised with an extra-large sense of humor. Apparently, laughter IS the best medicine, even though the majority are inside jokes.

Speaking of medicine, I got the results for my quad-screen blood test today. The test is meant to screen for genetic abnormalities by measuring certain protein levels in my blood. Thankfully, the test was negative, giving a good indication that my little bambino is doing well. So even though momma may be 'teched' just a little bit, the kid should suffer no ill effects from my psychosis. I can only hope that my little one will enjoy a childhood like mine, with lots of laughter, singing, nicknames and Easter Egg Hunts. But there is NO WAY that he/she will be allowed to jump out the top of Papaw's barn, with or without the help of an umbrella or homemade parachute. Batman has retired, and Mary Poppins is over-rated.

The following is a list of things that only the family would understand. If I leave anything out, please comment and tell me what I forgot. Just needed to do a little reminiscing today.

- Blind man's bluff in the hall
- Playing 'library'...what was your pretend name?
- T holding the football for Snick to 'practice punt'
- The Playroom, nuff said.
- Running to Ma and Pa's house for a cold biscuit
- Roller Skate Obstacle Course!!! With M Factor and Cinderella on the turntable...LOL
- Me and Mel getting our Barbies mixed up, and fighting about it
- Jumping off the ladder onto the donut swing, what a rush!
- "I was walkin', down a one-way street...BAM! Nanie, there's just something about this house."
- Playing 'King Cobra' and 'D. Faye' on the trampoline
- Cat's Eye, Life, and Hungry Hippos
- "Aaaaaannnniieee!!! OOoooooovvveeeerrrr....Pigtails!"
- The Go-Cart. No, I couldn't ride it because I was too fat.
- The Go-Cart. Attacked Michelle and nearly choked her to death with her own scarf.
- "Polly, there's a snake on my arm."
- Playing 'house' in the pigpen. Yes, the pigpen.
- Janet and me riding one-eyed Lady, the pony.
- Crawfishing with Bob in the front ditch.
- "Momma, Mitchell called me hoss!"
- Hope-toe.
- Mitch drying his hair out the window of the 442, while I steered one-handed.

I love y'all. Thanks for all the funny, happy memories.

Janet and me, circa 1975.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I love it!!! Even though I was a little too young, or not even here...I remember y'all talking about all of this!! :) Too funny. We have the best family ever!
Some of my memories:
I love your bar stools Aunt Nanie. ;)
I don't want any that cooin!!
Me and Andy climbing the walls at Granny & Grandpa's house.
I remember y'all playing laser tag...I was of course too young to play. :(
Singing by the piano...we have got to do that again soon.
What I miss the most...Pa Rice and Pappaw's prayers.
I can't think of anymore right now. Brynn has ran me rugged...I'm going to bed. I love you. I am so glad you got good results...I can't wait until we know what it is!!!!! :)

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Chris. I believe you guys have the best family ever. Anytime I spent around the Burt's was always a happy time. I love my family dearly, but I have always been just a little bit envious of the tightness ya'll shared. That is something you should cherish. I still smile when I think about stopping by. Whether it be to go fishing in the pond or just sitting aroud shooting the breeze. I love your family.
Neal

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here ya go Chris....

Papaw Walcie... 4:30 am prayer before breakfast on any one of the numerous times he and I ventured out on a fishing trip, hunting etc..... This is the "Breakfast Prayer" as i lovingly call it. Heard it 100's of times.

*Deep Breath and Sigh* as he leads into
"Ho Lord we thank you for sparing and protecting us through this another day. We thank you for health, (YAWN EVERY TIME RIGHT HERE) health and strength for this, another day. For food and rament (clothes)of days past and gone. We pray you bless us as you see we have need. We ask these blessing in the name of Christ Jesus.. HaaAmen...

Now just remember Papaw's voice and you have it...

Anka Bob
PS. I miss him too....

4:43 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Right on, Snick! outstanding.

Hate to do a 'correction' on the Walcie prayer, but...corrections in all caps. Dig it, you'll agree wit me.

*Deep Breath and Sigh* as he leads into
"Ho Lord we thank you for sparing and protecting us through this another day. We thank you for health, (YAWN EVERY TIME RIGHT HERE, and sometimes eye rub) health and strength for this, another day. For food and rament (clothes)of THE days past and gone, AND BEG THAT YOU WILL CONTINYAH (PAUSE) as you see we have need. We ask these blessings THROUGH CHRIST OUR REDEEMER.. HaaAmen...

This is how I remember it, however it could have had slight alterations over the years, heehee

Thanks for posting, this really made my day :)

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fig,,,,,,

I was recollecting via ... Early AM scenarios if you will. I do agree with all your corrections, however there were some special "short" versions lobbed out there when we were running a bit late...

You know, you had to be buzzing on the river as the sun rose or you were too late.. hahaha....

Sometimes the difference was made up on the "White Knuckle" ride down Marie Saline road in baby blue Ford
with the boat trailing ditch to ditch.

I think between us both we have it nailed... I am gonna make a master copy for future reference... I thought you might get a charge ut of that one..

BB

12:39 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Okay cousins here are a few of my memories...
*Lake Chicot...
-Cops & Robbers (specifically the time Polly and I crashed into one another "in a high-speed pursuit" and our bicycles stuck together...
-Polly and I singing Elvira in the bathhouse and recording ourselves singing on Mam-maw's handy-dandy cassette player (Run for the Roses)...
-laying out at the pool...
-lifeguards....
-earning our Junior Naturalist Badges
-"wwwhhhhaaaaappppeeee snake"
-Mine and Michelle's fishing excursion in the flat bottom...unbeknownst to us we were being filmed and made fun of by our two king fishermen cousins...Jim and Pollyanna....

*Pretend Name: Samantha, Sam is what I preferred to be called. I picked this name because I thought Elizabeth Montgomery on Bewitched was the most beautiful lady I'd ever seen.

*Aunt Syl teaching me how to crochet

*"Fashion Shows" at Nanie's with Janet and Michelle's old dance costumes...remember the "spotlight" old flashlight, the breeze (oscillating fan) and the music...their twin beds were our "runways"

*Playing "Shark" in Michelle and Janet's room, the bean bags and beds were land and the yellow shag carpet was the water

*Playing "How the West Was Won" and using the pigpen as "the cabin." We always started the same way...washing our hair by a big flowing stream in the wildnerness (aka. Uncle James' pasture and probably a small sewage ditch.) Jim was usually the Indian that "attacked" and we would run for the safety of "the cabin." I wonder if Michelle Lee ever figured out WHY she pushed me off of the top of "the cabin?" Nanie tore that butt up, she saw it all from the kitchen window, where I'm sure she was washing dishes with a dish towel slung over her shoulder.

*Playing at Pollyanna's house...we would step into the closet by the woodheater (wardrobe)..wait a few seconds and step out of the "wardrobe" and instantly we were in NARNIA...Oh my gosh, Fig! I almost forgot about that one! It came to me as I was typing just now!

*Amen to Barbies in the HUGE Mimosa trees at Ma's & Pa's...

*The Easter that Polly found 0 eggs and everyone thought we would be "thoughtful" and offer her some of ours..WRONG MOVE...she wasn't havin' any of it...

*Pa Rice giving us all a dollar bill at Christmas and sayin' "I know it's not worth much these days...." Did he know that it was WORTH more than a million dollars to us?

*Bob and Mitchell's scary KISS album covers hanging from their ceilings (nightmares for days after visiting... KISS band members chasing me, trying to step on me with their BIG platform boots.. I would always escape through a trap door in the stage floor...)....the night Bob conked me in the middle of my "forrad" with a trot line weight...he said he thought it was going to be Mitchell walking into the room...

*Jeff driving Michelin and myself to Greenville to the movies in Janet's red Escourt...we were staying at Lake Chicot and his leg was broken...he used his crutch to push the clutch in and let us shift gears!

*Eating "sweet milk" and cornbread at night with Pap-paw before bed...

*Spending the night at Aunt Syl and Uncle Bobby's and hearing the MASH theme song come on and feeling so safe and happy...I was too little to get the humour of the show then...but I love watching it now and when I hear the song start playing, it makes me think of how I felt, sneaking up the hallway, to see Uncle Bobby sittin' in his chair....

*Mitchell making fun of our "walls"

*Janet: (insert exaggerated eyeroll) "When I was ya'lls age, I was at home playin' with my Barbie dolls!" Janet's reply to me and Michelle when WE started hollering out the window to boys while cruisin' the strip in Panama City...if they could do it, we could too!

*The day Ma let me "play" with her hair, she was busy talking to Aunt Malley and wasn't paying attention to me...I combed all of her white waist-length hair out ever so carefully and then I got a rat-tail comb and the Aqua Net and proceeded to tease every inch of it... I was almost done with my creation when derned if Aunt Malley didn't say, OOOHHHH Elvessie! You are not goin' to BEEELIEVE what that child has gone and done to your hair!" Needless to say I never got to "play" with Ma's hair again.

*Andy falling in the sewage ditch at Ma's & Pa's tryin' to carry that fat old orange cat across...

*Faline the deer....

*The day Michelle "cleared the house" because she had spilled something AGAIN....and we (Janet, Jeff, & Jim...Nanie & Uncle James were at work) started making fun of her...SHE went to Uncle James' gun cabinet and got out a gun....I don't remember how long we were all outside discussing (hidin') why would Spreadtooth just 'snap' like that?

and I guess I better wind this down before it becomes a novel...
one more...

*Janet, Correctol, lavender and white gingham-checked bubble suit..."Momma!" "MMMOOOMMMAA!" (Picture bow-legged on her tippie toes) PLOP! PLOP! PLOP!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh ya'll I have tooooo many to post...But wouldn't it be cool if we all wrote our own down, typed them up and added them all together...I think it would be some of the best reading ever....
Love all of you!
Melanie Jane

5:36 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

OMG, Mel...

On the Janet/Correctol, I believe her exact words were,

"Melanie, I'm dooky-ing."

Then she ran down the hall, plop, plop...

Thank you for posting these!!! I had forgotten sooo many of them...

I love you :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Y'all are killin' me!! Someone needs to write all these down. :)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home