Tuesday, February 20, 2007

1st Annual Cousin's Retreat

It finally happened. No, we did not find Osama Bin Laden. We held the first EVER Rice girl-cousin's retreat!

And, yes. We had more fun and ate more cheese than it is legal to admit. Thanks to Steph's prodding us all with a hot poker, we finally succumbed to the pressure and decided it was worth listening to all the whining that would follow when we broke away from our male counterparts (and kids) for more than five whole minutes. We were very sad that Michelle, Misty and Bridget couldn't join us, but we will just be sure that EVERYONE receives an invite next time, m'kay? Yes, Misty, I'm talking to you girl. Attendees included left to right: Stephanie, me, Melanie, Janet, Tammy and Chris.


I hosted the first ever event at Chillville, which was perfect considering I have no home phone, and the cell signal is dodgy at best. This meant that if you wanted to talk to anyone, you would have to stand at the back door and bob your head around like a chicken, or go outside on the back porch and freeze to death. Neither was a good option, so we just checked messages from time to time. It was the next best thing to being dropped off on a desert island, but with better food.

Being with child, and being clueless, I used this time to glean all the knowledge I could from the veteran mothers in my midst. I got tons of great information, including home video footage of an actual birth, and lots of examples of the hell your children will put you through once they reach the age that they can finally walk. I know birth and motherhood aren't all bad, but just don't ever let your kids wear your boots while dancing around in their underwear. It will make you pee in your pants, people.

I had no idea that so many women with so much gear could fit into such a confined space. But we did, and no one got stepped on or elbowed, a least not on purpose. We actually attempted to have a Liverpool Rummy tournament, but we only lasted two hands. We couldn't stop talking and eating long enough to play...are you surprised?

From left to right, me, Steph, Face and Tammy. Of course, we had to switch out camera operators and take another shot so everyone could represent...

Left to right, beached whale, sleepy Steph, Janet and Chris. Where is Melanie, you ask? She's trying to hook up a VHS player to a DVD recorder so she can convert our old family movies. After she almost pulled out all of he hair, I offered to try and help her...

No, that swath of green isn't Ireland, it's my right butt cheek. Alas, I wasn't much help and she eventually figured out. She also took some great family photos of Chris, Aaron and Brynn, plus some of me and my pregnant belly. I will post these later. Mel is a fabulous photographer. Check out her work here: http://leaveallworries.blogspot.com/ She is also a fabulous dancer and karaoke singer, especially when she has had too much vodka and cranberry juice. Rope the calf, Mel...rope the calf.

Speaking of roping the calf, here's the original roper herself with her precious little one, AnnaClaire. Janet, don't you dare teach that baby that dance. Nanie would flip a grid...


Thank you, ladies for your love, advice and fantastic dip recipes. And thanks to Chris for sharing these photos, hope you don't mind that I used them. The time just went by too, too fast, didn't it? And for the love of all things holy, please let's not forget to invite Mrs. Jim Meziere next time. Otherwise, there will be no divinity next Christmas.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I love it!! Why heavens no I don't care that you used my pictures!!! :) It was a wonderful time. I can't wait for our next one in July. I love you. :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Had a BALL! Wouldn't have missed it...it's been too many years since we all spent more than a few hours around each other. I miss ya'll already...wish we lived closer.
Love YOU!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home