Monday, June 06, 2005

Books a Million, I've been tagged!

I FOUND MY DRAFT, THANK THE LAWD.....here it is, finally. Geez.
Thanks to G-dawg for giving me subject matter for my post. Your timing is impeccable, as is your taste in books.*grin*
We have several in common, in fact...tag I'm it!

I. Total number of books I've owned: My love of books started in childhood, so I have to give history there. My mom enrolled me in a book club, in which I received 2-3 books each month. I would run madly to the mailbox to see if my latest additions had arrived. These were not story books, they were learning books...running the gamut from the planets and space to dinosaurs and fossils. I was fascinated with dinos and knew EVERYTHING there was to know about them. As a kid, in summer I would go to the library EVERY TWO WEEKS and load up on books. When it was too hot to play outside, I read...and read. So did my dad, and that explains where I got my love for the written word. Over the course of my life, and today even, I estimate I have owned/read/passed on hundreds of books...and I still do. In my spare room at home is a book shelf LOADED with books. I have even more in storage. And, if I count my dad's personal library, then tons more.

II. The last book I bought: Hmmmm...that's a tuffie. I usually don't buy that many because I can get them from the library, read them, then buy them if I truly love them. Plus, my storage of said books is very limited. I imagine the last book I bought was a gift for someone else, probably a cookbook! I own tons of cookbooks, and cannot seems to stop buying more. I often buy books as gifts for people, because the sentiment can be enjoyed over and over again. I usually write a message inside with a date, so the recipient will remember where it came from. To me, books make the best gifts.

III. The last book I read: Elmore Leonard, 'The Switch'. I devoured it the first 2 days of my vacation. It's a story about a failing marriage, and how the wife subsequently sticks it to her soon-to-be ex-husband, by using her kidnappers and his girlfriend against him. You will laugh aloud when you read the last line of the book. Then I immediately turned about face and started on a fascinating book by Norman Mailer, 'Harlot's Ghost'. It's about the inner workings of the CIA...in fact, a critic on the back cover referred to it as...."[the War and Peace of the CIA]". Fascinating work of fiction, but due to time conflicts with work, I have only read about half. I will finish it this month.

IV. 5 books that mean a lot to me: Wow, only 5?
1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. Williams - This was my very first favorite book. I read it the first time when I was about 7 years old. I just couldn't get enough of it, and read it over, and over, and over....when the book came to television, I could hardly wait to see it. I still have the original, hard-back copy my mom procured for me.

2. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - I first read this book for an assignment in the 8th grade. Yeah, the subject matter may seem a little deep for someone so young, but I read ALL THE TIME. Kid books were boring by then, and since I was the last of four kids still living at home, I had many adult conversations with my parents. We talked about things like crime, the justice system, and capital punishment. I will never forget how reading that book made me feel...I could literally imagine the characters in their jail cells, awaiting judgement. This book taught me that I did not want to lead a life of crime. And, oh yeah...I got an A on my book report.

3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - Actually, I include all three books in the series. I read them all at the age of 10, and was fascinated by the imagery. It was my favorite series until I came upon my next author. I was giddy when I heard about the first of the 'Rings' movies coming out on the big screen...I still can watch them all, back to back at one sitting. I did re-read the series a couple of years ago....wonderful tale of fantasy in a parallel universe. Fantastic.

4. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry - This is one of my all-time favorite books, and the three books that accompany it should be included in that high honor. Streets of Laredo, Comanche Moon, and Dead Man's Walk are all companion books about the life of two Texas Rangers, Capt. Woodrow F. Call and Capt. Augustus McCrae. These are not spaghetti westerns, my friends. These are the tales and trials of the settlement of the American West, with an emphasis on Texas and the growing cattle trade. There is no on who can spin a tale like McMurtry. My dad has read him extensively for years, and recommends that you also read "Space" and "Texas", but authored by McMurtry. His ability to make the reader envision his stories is unparalleled. And his knowledge of the subjects he covers prove that he is no bullshit artist. He knows his stuff. Probably one of the greatest authors of our time.

5. Mr. King, Stephen that is...I cannot simply narrow down to one particular book by the master of macabre. I know, some folks think he is past it, that he has become repetitive, blah-blah-blah. I beg to differ. He, alone, was responsible for my love of the horror genre. I started reading his work in high school, and my long distance love affair continues to this day (move over, G! LOL) I don't read him as often, but about every two years, I must find and read a copy of The Stand. Franny and Stu...what a pair. On the other hand, all his literary offerings are not horror...i.e. Green Mile, Shawshank. There isn't an author today who has his exact perspective, or whom can manage to make his characters seem, well....so HUMAN, while making himself seem super-human. I love you, Mr. King, in the most literal of senses. Other favorites....The Talisman, Delores Claiborne (shudder), and the classic Cujo. Also, I believe you are clinically insane, making me love you and your crazy mind even more. You scare the hell outta me.

And, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the all-time best seller in the entire world...the Bible. Again, words have the power to convey the very meaning of life and existence to we who are of faith. I am thankful that this inspiration was sent to us via the authors of old, the enscribers of the Written Word. For this, I am thankful.

I cannot tag anyone today because my battered mind cannot think that far. Feel free to comment on likes or dislikes.
HAVE A FABULOUS WEEKEND!!!! And go get a good book to read ***wink***.

2 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

Hey, these are great. I can't wait to read the rest of the list. If you want to move it to the top, go to the draft and change the date. :

1:31 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Thanks, G! I couldn't figure out where it went...lawd knows i need someone to help me get straight :)

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home