Friday, September 23, 2005

Letter to Mitchell

Dear brother,

Today has dawned, and brought with it another milestone in the lives of the people that love and miss you. Mitch, I can't believe you have been gone so long! Sometimes, it seems like a thousand years; sometimes, it seems just yesterday that I last saw you.

I wonder what your life would have become. Would you have married and had kids? Would you have remained a Battle Skills trainer at Camp Robinson, or would you have eventually moved home? I often wonder what type of advice you would have given during one of my many dramas. You were my brother, my best friend...I could tell you anything, and you never judged me. Thank you so much for your acceptance, love and your crazy sense of humor.

Learning to live without you in my life has taught me many things, but I think the most poignant message of all is to live each day as if it were your last. This whole concept has been heard so many times until it almost seems cliche, but it is the universal message that speaks to all men about the limited amount of time we are given. Things do change in the blink of an eye, and then the moment is forever in the past...so I choose to live without regret or apology. I don't want to waste a second of my time, because a moment from now, it could be all be over.

I have no regrets regarding the time I spent with you, because we loved each other as best we could as siblings. You and I both recognized during my last visit with you, that these moments were special, magical...although we could never understand why. Now, it is all clear to me. That would be the last visit, last conversation, last hug I would ever receive from you. And you know what? It was more than I could have ever asked for.

I watched home videos for hours and hours last night, and had personal visits will all my family who have passed on. Some may think I'm crazy, but just the sound of those familiar voices comforts me. It's the only way I can visit you now, so I'm thankful for the ones who captured so much of our family history on film.

Even though you are not with me, the storehouse of memories you have left behind makes you come alive again. A familiar phrase, or picture helps me recall the happiness you brought to my life. I keep a little box that belonged to you. It used to sit on the chest of drawers just inside your and B's room, and you kept pocket change in it. Now, it contains mementos of the life you once lived...concert ticket stubs, the sunglasses you 'borrowed' from me at our last visit, a chain you wore in highschool, your last pack of cigarettes. Sitting beside my chair is a picture of you. You remain, forever, a part of my life because I choose to keep you alive.

But I still miss you, and the space you left behind will never be filled. My only hope is that I will accurately pass on your memory to others, and remember with a smile, the man that is my brother.

7 Comments:

Blogger j.c. said...

Polly-
I am at work right now fighting back tears of admiration for you. Mitchell is such a cornerstone of your whole family. I never had a chance to see him or talk to him, but through family stories, I feel like I knew him well. I know he is so proud of the fact that his memory has always been a burning flame in all of your lives. That is a beautiful letter to him. i love you.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

How sweet. I needed this today. I miss him too, wish I could have gotten to know him better. I guess that is where I get it..."live each day like it is your last." I truely believe in this statement. Uncle Mitchell was the most kind, caring person ever. I think those qualities run deep in our family and I am glad they do.
I have a funny story, my last recollection of him.
I was playing in the front of Granny and Grandpa's house. He stepped outside for something and I didn't know it. Something I was doing wasn't working the way I wanted it to and I called it a "bastard." He (trying to keep a straight face) said, "Chris Burt what did you say?" I (shocked) said, "Bastard, I called that stick a bastard." He told me that was a bad word and I shouldn't say it. I told him that I had heard them say it before about a cat and didn't think it was a bad word. Never did I worry that he would tell on me or I would get in trouble. He was uncle Mitchell and he loved me. I am willing to bet he went inside, told the story and they all laughed about it. It is a story I will never forget. :) I love you Aunt Polly.

12:05 PM  
Blogger ginger said...

Such a heartfelt letter. Thanks for sharing it with us.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. Just do what I say and live, live, live!

Big Bro - LOL at the "every woman's dream" thing...he had enough Bobby in him that I'm sure that would have been the case. He was the man, the Kang!

I just miss the bullshitting and the trash talking and the laughter most of all. I still have that with you and T tho...but Mitch was my bud. When I was the snot-nosed lil buggin' ass sister, he still rolled with me. No telling how many miles we flew in the Olds 442.

Yeah, he 'graduated' alright...lucky dog! But we will all be together soon enough :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Anisa said...

what a beautiful letter...you apparently do remember him accurately to write about him so well.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That's such a sweet letter, Polly. Like Jeanne, thru your family I feel like I got to know him too. The only memory I have of him was when he "graduated." Going thru Tastee Freeze drive thru getting ice cream and my mother trying to explain to us what happened. Chris was with us. His death is the first I ever knew. It seems strange that I remember that moment of realization in what death was. Everytime someone I am close to passes away, it takes me back to that Tastee Freeze drive thru, listening to my Mother give her best explanantion of why things like this happen. A childlike voice inside me speaks that peace of understanding, "oh, just like Uncle Mitchell." Bless you and your family. You guys are such a special part of my life. I love you.

6:30 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Oh Polly...what a wonderful letter...Big hugs to you and your family. Mitchell was and is well loved, I can tell just from reading.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home