Monday, June 20, 2005

Easy Rider

I had a rare, and welcomed opportunity to ride my motorcycle this weekend. There isn't much to compare to the feeling you get, when the sun is shining, the wind is in your face, and the pipe are thumping...glug-glug-glug-glug-glug. It wasn't a long trip...it wasn't a fast trip.

"No hurry!", my bike seemed to say to me. "Just gliiiiide....breath the air....see the sights. RELAX."

So I relented. When I started out, I was so encumbered with worry and responsibilities. My mind would not stop running. But soon, the smell of green grass and recent rain slowly unravelled the ball of shredded paper in my head, and I started breathing, slowly and deeply. My grip relaxed on the drag bars, and I felt the knot of tension tied at the base of my skull give way. The cloudless blue sky emanated with a soft glow, casting it's glory down on the green fields. My headache stopped, and euphoria took it's place. Honestly, It was like lithium on wheels. Fantastic!

I was in the company of good friends, including Boo on his bike, and Boo's folks on another bike. As we clucked along, I thanked God for being able to ride my bike in such a beautiful place, with such wonderful people. It kinda reset my thinking, and gave me a good start to the week.

So tell me...what do you do to reset your thinking? When the doldrums come calling, how do you pick yourself up?

For me, bliss is as close as my bike...I think I'll take a little late evening spin after work today. Peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

Let's see... it takes a LOT to get me stressed out (like that whole 2 WEEKS right before school let out!), so when I do... there is really nothing I can do to wind down. I like to read and just lay down and veg out for awhile. EAT ->that's my problem right there!

2:22 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Glad you have something that can take you away and help you destress!

Mine is painting or piano playing.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Getting a facial really relaxes me. Laying on the beach is also one of my favorite things to do to relax. Reading, listening to music and having a glass of wine do the trick too.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

oh my gosh ... motorcycles terrify me. but i'm SO glad you have an outlet for the stress.

before i moved to the big city, i would drive the backroads of hamburg and portland and listen to music very loudly. now i sit on the couch and catch up on netflix with a glass of wine to unwind.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Driving and listening to music helps me unwind. Also, painting and listening to music when I can't go for a drive. I have notice that I have pass this on to my son. Somedays when we pull in the driveway after work and school and says, "No, Mommy, let's drive." So I back up and we head out again. Maybe he needs to unwind a little, too. :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

Driving in the country at night relaxes me while listening to music really loud. If I'm really stressed out, I have to "run away"--change of scenery for a few days to gain a fresh perspective--I think that's a Virgo thing...I have always wanted to ride on a motorcycle--not drive one, just ride...I think they're soooo cool!!!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home