Monday, February 07, 2005

My Daddy

For as long as I can remember, by dad has been larger than life to me. I always had a healthy respect and "fear" of my dad and still do. But at the same time, I knew that my dad had a hug and kiss for me everyday, and he always told me he loved me. Now that I'm older, it's strange to think of my dad as a friend, but he is my friend, one of the best I've ever had.
Looking back over my raising and childhood, I can see how much his influence has had on me, probably much more now than my mom ever did. My mother was loving, soft-spoken, a great teacher...the perfect mother really. I appreciate everything she did for me as a child, and it has helped make me who I am today. But I cannot deny that I am a female version of my dad! People tell me all the time, "You are just like your dad." I consider that a compliment on the highest level, and I strive to always honor and respect him in everything I do.
Thanks dad for making me who I am. Thank you for the fun times, and the stories, and the fishing trips, and the duck hunting, and riding around in the chevy luv truck listening to Charlie Daniels on 8-track. I will never forget those times. And thanks for being my friend now, for not judging me when I mess up, and for your continued love and support for me. Having you in my life is a blessing, and knowing you are there gives me comfort and strength even when I don't think there is any left. I love you daddy. Thanks for loving me.