Friday, February 18, 2005

Fri-Day, Bad-Day

Today sucks, simply put. This is about to be a poor me fest, so if you aren't interested in a whiny rant, this ain't for you.

I am mad at my bank which allowed 15+ NSF checks to pass thru my account after I made an apparent huge error in my checkbook. Now, I have discovered that I have NO money in my account, because at least $200 worth of hot check charges have been applied. Let me give you some reasons why I'm so f------ mad.

1. I have been with this "bank" since I first opened a savings account there at the age of 10. I am now 35.

2. EVERYONE at said bank knows me, or has heard my name. I grew up in the town, graduated there (along with all 3 of my siblings). My parents bank there. Everyone knows my parents. It's a very, very small town.

3. My name is Pollyanna. I'm sure it would be really hard for this small town bank to recognize my name in a NSF list since Pollyanna is such a common name anyway. And besides, they don't have time to give me a call to find out why so many hot checks are showing up on my account which is NEVER overdrawn.

4. I am human, and know the mistake is my fault and will readily admit it. But cripes! I scratch to get by as it is, so how the f---do they expect to ever get their f------ money when they charge ridiculous processing fees for checks that they covered anyway? The fees they charged me on allllll those checks would have covered the difference, stopping anymore hot checks from showing up. Instead, they keep covering, and keep on charging. Hmmmmmm.

5. When I asked one of the ladies at the branch here in town why they didn't call, I discovered that they still have my account set up in MY OLD MARRIED NAME. Again, I remind you, my first name is Pollyanna, veeeeery common, I know. Shazam, I've only been divorced 3.5 years. I guess I should be patient while they endeavor to get my account details up to date after 3.5 years, while charging me fees out the ass.

6. I have had one other incidence of "hot checks" in the past 10 years when THEY made a $1000 mistake to my bad. I don't write hot checks for a living is my point. Since I have been a customer of theirs for 25 years, I am surprised someone didn't notice the change in my account activity. 15 + hot checks coming thru an otherwise typical consumer account would throw up a flag for me. For one, did the customer get their checkbook stolen? Does this customer WANT to pay $20 per check just to have them covered? I'll let y'all figure that one out yourselves.

7. Is THIS how they make their money? By charging the hell outta the little (lifetime)customers, and kissing the asses of the affluent who sit on their board?

I have decided not to call them today since I can't seem to stop crying long enough to speak in clear sentences. I don't know why this has unnerved me so, except that I am beyond frustration! And the saddest part is this...my whole day has been ruined by something I hate.....MONEY. I constantly brag on my bank, telling people, "Oh, they aren't like other "faceless" entities...they call you when something comes up." Oooops. I spoke too soon.

I think I'll just start cashing my checks. I'm gonna bury my money in mason jars.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes baby, that is exactly how they make their money. I'm so sorry--I have had the same experience before after I had screwed up balancing my checkbook without a calculator.
They don't care. Just be glad they didn't send them back to the businesses, then you would've had their fee and the merchant's fee.
This too shall pass--
Love you

8:53 AM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I have so been there! My "big" bank definitely does not call me. Mom told me who you bank with, maybe you should change to her bank. I loved them, they always used to call me even when I banked with them in LR.

10:32 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

Oh I have totally been there. There is nothing more frustrating than losing money that didn't have to be lost!!! Then people look at you like you intentionally wrote hot checks and just didn't care. That happened to me once with a check less than $4.00... I wanted to scream in that woman's face who acted like I was a criminal!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you... maybe you could write a letter to the bank complaining about their lack of customer service!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home