Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Is my life boring?

Seems like all I ever, ever do anymore is work. I used to be a vibrant, creative part of society...now, I'm just another friggin' drone buzzing around the workplace.
I used to do things like paint, play the bass guitar, walk in the woods...
I know I'm getting older, but does that mean I have to be boring? I don't want to be busier, I want more free time to do things that stimulate my mind in a POSITIVE way. But the obligatory duties in my life take precedence, and the things that make me feel happy and alive are shelved till further notice.
I envy people who have free time to enjoy their hobbies, to live life to the fullest, to travel, to learn something new. I guess that's it...I never seem to learn anything new. It's the small-town mentality...Oooooo, don't try anything new, someone might raise and eyebrow!
I need to travel, see something new. I would really like to go back to Europe...the history and culture is unavoidable, and soooo stimulating. Hell, I would love to cross this great country I live in and see it all...by train, plane, automobile, roller blades, however.
I would really love to reach my full potential one day...
My great aunt recently passed away at the age of 94...let me say that again...94. Wow. She got her GED, went to college, travelled the world, all after he husband passed away. She was in her seventies when she did all that stuff. Incredible. She was a special lady, and we will miss her. In the shadow of her latent accomplishments, how can I just let myself be ordinary? I can't, I won't.
Need to grow, need to learn, need to change...it never stops, even if you live to be 94.

2 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

I guess our lives must be ordinary sometimes. We don't have the time, energy, or money to be daring and bold every day. A great vacation trip, or going somewhere on a weekend that you wouldn't normally go (I started going to Bingo and it is soooo freakin' hilarious and fun), or even writing a blog make things a little less ordinary. I know what you mean though; just the other day I was thinking that I missed college... Whoa! I don't miss not having any money, but I missed going to class and writing and meeting people and learning new things.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

You are not boring, at all. You do need to think about things and realize what is important to you. Don't work yourself to death. You only live once. Going through my parents divorce I learned a lot. But one thing that always sticks out in my mind is this. Don't get so busy making a living, you forget to make a life. I don't really know where I heard that, but it is very true. (mom probably told me and grandpa told her, don't remember) Have fun, while you can!! No kids, young age...get busy!!! You and Brian plan a trip and come see us!! :)

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home