Thursday, December 16, 2004

There really is a Santa, I think?

Holiday time means chaos for me...while most people are happily cruising thru the season, I'm working my butt off. I'm not complaining, it's great to have a job. But lawdy, do I need a break!
I have now purchased exactly 3 presents......yeah that's ALL. I LOVE Christmas, but after attending umpteen open houses, and eating 45 and a half pounds of refreshments, I'm (literally) fed up. I'm tired of all the chit-chat, the pageantry, the blah blah blah...even I have developed a severe case of perma-grin from all the well wishing.
I am not a scrooge by any stretch, but does anyone else out there feel me? I think the "Christmas" mentality should stretch throughout the whole dang year. Why do so many folks think that the holidays are the only time when people need good cheer?
Just how many times will I hear, "Are you ready for Christmas?"
"Hell yes, I'm ready! I was born ready, so let's get on with it."
For me, Christmas will never regain it's former luster. Gone are the days when I really, truly believed that there was a true St. Nick...I could have sworn I heard his sleigh bells over the house at Myrtle and Neal's (my grandparents) on Christmas eve. Gone also is the innocence that accompanied me through my childhood holidays. I'm all grown up now, and very, very jaded. But I love to go back in time, in my mind, and relive those exceptionally joyous moments that have stuck in my mind like sugarplums. Life was filled with simple things...parents, cousins, playtime and tons of love. Now all that has been traded for stress, deadlines, responsibilities, and lonliness. That's right, lonliness. It is a sobering thing to wake up one day and realize you aren't a kid anymore! It is a very lonely feeling. No more parents to get your back, you have to get it yourself. I have so many great friends and loving family. But I long for those days when all I had to do was get up out of bed, get dressed, and hit the yard! No bills to pay, no job to attend...and the only problem solving that had to be done was to figure out which ditch contained the most crawfish.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

How funny about the crawfish!!!! I feel you. I have been so tired from all of the hooplaah!! (Aaron helped me spell that one) I am however ready for Christmas!! Happy about Christmas and ready to see everyone!!! :) I remember when I still believed in Santa I could have sworn I heard sleigh bells when we lived in our trailer. It was the same night mom, uncle Mitchell, and dad put my trampoline together, twice!!! (were you there too??) Mom said her and uncle had a little too much to drink and they put it together wrong the first time. But the whiskey did warm them up. :) See you soon!!! I love you!! ;)

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home