Thursday, April 07, 2005


A friend sent this to me today...the family that found the fawn introduced her to their family pet, and he adopted her...it reminded me of a baby deer we raised when I was a child. She was abandoned by her mother, so we adopted her and named her Faline after the female deer in Bambi. She was so sweet...she stayed inside for the first few months and we bottle fed her. She slept under my mom's and sister's sewing machines because it had four "legs" and she thought it was her mother! She also pee'd under the sewing machines. I will never forget the way she smelled...sweet, like the milk she drank. When she was old enough, she lived in my mom's chicken yard. She was my best friend and we played everyday...I was about 7 years old when she lived with us. I remember we would play hide-and-seek. There was tall cypress grass in the chicken yard, and I would run away from her and hide. But her excellent sense of smell would always lead her right to me. She would prance around and act so proud when she found me...I miss her. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

That is the sweetest picture. :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Oh Polly, I remember Faline. I had almost forgot about her. Hey, remember when Shondra (my mom's friend Tanya's daughter, they were from Eldorado)anyway..remember when me, you, and Shondra went into the chicken yard to see Faline and she jumped on Shondra's back and scratched her. You could not convince Shondra that Faline was just playing. She totally freaked out! I had forgotten about all of that. Ha! The things that are stuck in the back of our minds....

7:32 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

We had a fawn when we were growing up too! one of the perks of living in the country I guess-unusual pets. He came right up to the house and mama caught him. He stayed in our house for awhile, but then we put him in a pen. He would follow me, suck my fingers, and play! One day he disappeared. I was told "his mom came to get him", but thinking back...Oh I don't want to think what might have happened!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home